QuickBooks is a widely acclaimed accounting software offered by intuit inc. to help business owners in managing payroll, inventory, sales etc. This software is quite popular among the small to medium business owners. Like any other technical software, the QuickBooks is also prone to some errors and issues. One such error which is common in the QuickBooks user is Error -6177.
If you are also dealing with Error -6177 then you are at the right place. Here, we will provide you easy step by step solutions to get rid of this error easily.
What does QuickBooks Error -6177 means?
The general meaning of QuickBooks Error -6177 is that the QuickBooks is not able to find a path to open the company file. This usually happens when a user tries to access the company files locally while the company file is located at the server. As far as causes are concerned, we can list down three main causes for this error.
- Networking Issues.
- Corrupt download or an incomplete installation.
- Any virus or malware affecting the QuickBooks files.
How to get rid of QuickBooks Error -6177?
In general, there are three major solutions available to get rid of this error.
Solution 1: Move the company files to your PC’s local hard disk
- First of all, move the file from the server to the C drive of your local hard disk.
- Open the company file saved in C drive through QuickBooks
- Create a portable file and save it in the local C drive.
- Close the opened company file.
- Restore the portable file saved in the C drive and save it on the server.
- Close the company file and reopen it from the server.
Solution 2: Make use of QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a utility software developed by Intuit to detect the issues in QuickBooks and solve them automatically. You can download the QuickBooks file doctor from the official website of Intuit.
Solution 3: Resolving the error manually.
If you don’t want to install the QuickBooks file doctor then you can fix this error manually by following the steps given below:
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks software if it is running on the computer having your company file.
- Open the folder where the company files are stored and locate the file with “.nd” extension.
- Delete the file with “.nd” extension.
- Click the windows start button and open programs.
- Open QuickBooks followed by QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click on “Add Folder” and select the folder having the company files.
- Click on “Ok” after selecting the Folder.
- Now, click on the “Scan” button. This will scan and list down all the company files which the QuickBooks database server manager is hosting.
- Click on Close after the scanning is complete.
- Now, check the permissions to access the company files in window. Correct them if required.
- If you have a full application installed on the server then you should do the following tasks. However, they are completely optional.
- Switch the hosting off and on.
- Open the company files using a local path.
- Create a new folder in the c drive and copy the company files in that new folder. Reopen QuickBooks and open your company files from the newly created folder.
- Open the company files from the computer on which the QuickBooks Error -6177 message was displayed.