Accounting is an extremely important aspect of a business. That’s why it is very important that your Accounting software like QuickBooks should remain in a smooth working condition. Intuit who is the manufacturer of QuickBooks has taken all the necessary measures to make it a problem-free application. But still, there are many issues and problems that can cause a great deal of hassle for the QuickBooks users. One such problem is QuickBooks not responding when opening.
The reasons behind such kind of problems are very diverse in nature. In case you are also a QuickBooks user dealing with issues like QuickBooks has stopped working, QuickBooks not opening etc then this article is just for you. Here we will discuss all the possible reasons for such problems and steps to fix them.
Causes of QuickBooks has stopped working errors
Before moving on to the solutions, let’s have a look at some of the possible reasons why QuickBooks is not responding in your PC.
- Your company name might be too long.
- Missing or Damaged QBWUSER.INI file.
- Bad Sector or corrupt files in your Hard Disk.
- Incorrect QuickBooks Desktop installation.
- Damaged program files.
- Corrupted Windows Operating system.
How to fix QuickBooks Desktop not responding problem?
As the cause of this problem is quite diverse, there are multiple solutions to fix them. You should try these solutions one by one and check if the problem resolves or not.
Solution 1: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tools (QBInstall Tool)
Here’s how you can use QBInstall Tool.
- First of all, download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tools from the official intuit website.
- Save the file in your PC.
- Close the programs and run QBInstall Tool.
- Restart your PC after running the Tools so that the changes can take place.
Solution 2: Restart the PC and temporarily disable the Anti-virus software.
It is also possible that your antivirus program might be responsible for QuickBooks not opening problem. Follow the steps given below to fix this problem.
- Restart your computer.
- Disable your antivirus program.
- Run QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 3: Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
Sometimes, the QBWUSER.ini or EntitlementDataStore.ecml files can also be the reason for QuickBooks issues.
- You can access QBWUSER.ini file from the following location i.e. Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- You should rename QBWUSER.ini file to QBWUSER.ini.old.
- You should also rename EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- If QuickBooks won’t start after renaming these files, then it indicates that the problem is related to the incorrect QuickBooks installation.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks using a clean install
- Firstly, you should uninstall QuickBooks completely from your PC.
- Now, download and install the fresh copy of QuickBooks Desktop from the official website of Intuit.
Solution 5: Create a new Admin User Windows
In case none of the given solutions help you fix the QuickBooks not responding issue, you should create a new user account in Windows.
Some Important Points to Remember
- Renaming the QBWUSER.INI file will wipe out the information saved in the list of previously opened QB company file.
- You should scan your PC with a good antivirus to check any virus or malware attack in your PC.
- While reinstalling QuickBooks you should keep your QuickBooks license number handy.